Saturday, September 14, 2013

Mrs. Ferrer

I've seen more flattering pictures of her, but I can't find of the others right now and it's time for purple sludge cough medicine.  She looks pretty in this one anyway.


I'm bored and awake and waiting fifty minutes until I can take my next dose of medication, so I'll throw a mini-blog together and post it.

She probably wouldn't appreciate  my calling attention to her, as I believe she values her privacy, but Judge Alex's wife, Mrs. Ferrer   (I will not use her first name here) is a very classy lady.  Mrs. Ferrer, if you ever come across this, keep in mind that my blog is low-profile and my readership is small. Nothing about you is being blasted across Page Six.

I don't know a great deal about Mrs. Ferrer because her husband respects her privacy and only shares the occasional anecdote, but a particular incident Judge Alex once related in an interview  I happen to have read clearly illustrates the character of Judge Alex's wife.

Judge Alex discussed the time when he had finished law school and was working as a civil litigator. According to him, it was a line of legal practice to which he was not terribly well-suited.  The bulk of his cases may have been related to medical malpractice and perhaps various forms of tort liability,  as much of  the workload of any civil litigator who cares to eat and/or feed his or her family on  regular basis often involves such cases.

Judge Alex found that this branch of law was highly financially rewarding for an attorney who was good, and Judge Alex presumably was skilled at the job. He mentioned that he did make a considerable sum of money during this segment of his career. The particular branch of law,  however, was not rewarding to the judge in a psychological sense.  I don't recall the specific words he used, but he said in essence that at the end of the day, the job left him feeling not terribly clean. Some aspects of the legal profession require a person, if he or she is to do the job for which he has been hired,  to on occasion violate his principles or to operate against his conscience. I don't know if the state of dislike of the work was to that extreme for the judge, but he did not like it.

Mrs. Ferrer suggested to the judge, according to the interview I read, "Why don't you just go back to being a cop? We got by on your salary as a police officer before, and we could again."   There's a noticeable difference in the salary of a police officer and that which  is earned by a successful litigator. It speaks volumes that Mrs. Ferrer would, for the sake of his happiness or peace of mind, urge her husband to give up a profitable career in civil litigation and to return to the police force even though it would have made a major difference in her husband's income and in the lifestyle the family could have afforded to maintain.

As it turned out, Alex Ferrer ran for and was elected to a circuit court judicial post.  After serving in in various capacities within the court system, and after presiding over several high-profile cases, Judge Ferrer chose to accept an offer to serve as  a TV courtroom judge, mediating small claims cases. The rest is history.

Judge Alex now presumably earns a salary that would make what he earned  either as a circuit court judge or even as a civil litigator seem like pocket change by comparison.  The Ferrers are in an income bracket that would be considered wealthy by almost anyone's standards.  Wealth, unfortunately for some, cannot be used to purchase refinement, decorum,  character, or anything of such nature. It did not matter for Mrs. Ferrer. She already possessed these qualities.

10 comments:

  1. That's a nice story. Bill has been struggling with what to do next. He was attracted to healthcare and I told him he should study for it if he wants to. But now he says he wants to try to get a job overseas again. So we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be a tough choice for the Lt. Col. He's at an age where some me are already (prematurely, in my opinion; it seems like, if you enjoy your job at all, you miss out on a lot if you start looking forward to packing it all in too soon; life is short enough as it is)counting the years to retirement, and he's looking for a whole new career. Being a career military person puts one in an intersting position job-wise. Sometimes they top out too early to pack it in totally in terms of work even if the pension they earn is enough on which to live decently.I'm sure he'll be successful at whatever he chooses, and I'm glad you're supportive of the choices he makes. Whatever he does, I hope it gives you both great travel opportunities.

      Delete
  2. She seems like a very nice and down to earth person. They both do. I think it takes a lot of confidence to support your husband through popularity and fame, as he does many things without her. Granted, when you've been married as long as they have, a lot of work and time has been put into that marriage. I find that very inspiring. I don't know if it's because of my past, but I'm fascinated in the different dynamics that different families have. I mean, I'm on my second StepDad, I've been exposed to interesting dynamics, at best. Relationships that didn't have nearly the amount of "stress" that being involved in television brings. I realize that a person's character is going to shine in a marriage, whether or not it's good character, or bad.

    Judge Alex and his wife seem to compliment each other naturally, and respectfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize you were on you second Stepdad. Arthur seems like a pretty good guy.

      I hope the judge's wife is able to laugh it off or roll her eyes or whatever when women who should be olde enough to know better cyber-throw themselves at him. We don't do that. We just think he's a nice guy and smart as well. You've actually met him and managed, even in your state of illness at the time, not to drool or anything similar as some females would have done.

      Delete
    2. My mom married my first StepDad when I was 3, they divorced when I was 6.

      When I met Judge Alex, I was a bit star struck, I will admit. I resorted to nervous rambling and talking about how strange it was for him to be out of the TV... or, something along those lines. There are a lot of things I probably wouldn't have said, if I could re-do it, though I give myself slack, because I wasn't even a full 24 hours post op, and was still reaping all the benefits of morphine. He came in the morning and I was so exhausted after he left, I did not wake up until the next day.

      Considering everything, it went very well. Child Life recorded it for me, so I have it on DVD. He was everything that I expected. His visit is infamous at the hospital.

      Delete
  3. Judge Alex resembles a man from long ago, John Alden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane Sheehan FerrerMay 29, 2018 at 3:16 PM

    Well I guess I can say Better Late Than Never. I just happened upon this blog by AlexisAR aka: Alexis. This was written in 2013 but I never saw this until now, 2018, or don’t remember seeing it.

    Good job Alexis. I appreciate the compliments you gave me. I was a bit shocked at first because how would anyone know about that story but Alex & I? Apparently my husband said it during some interview. And, yes, the story is accurate.

    Very nice words from you also Rebecca Bradley. Pretty much what you said about me is correct. And it doesn’t bother me at all when people talk about the type of person I am. 1st, when someone does they usually are correct (I thought I was the only one with that keen insight), 2nd, my husband, Judge Alex, has many fans and 3rd, if people say negative things about me or my family, whatever.......... They don’t know the real truth

    Unfortunately his show was canceled in 2014. He has been pretty busy since. Actually my hubby will be back on TV this June, on CBS prime time. I’m very happy for him.

    And luckily, our family has not changed whether Alex is on TV or not. Probably because we know “Judge Alex”
    or whatever show he appears on is his job not his personality.




    alexisar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane Sheehan FerrerMay 29, 2018 at 3:18 PM

    Oh and Alexisar.blogspot.com if you reply to my reply I probably will never see it because I don’t know how I stumbled on this blog. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably will, as you said, never see this reply, but still it seems rude NOT to reply. I'm glad you weren't offended being mentioned even in the relative obscurity of this blog.

      I would hope that your family isn't being maligned on the Internet. It's not as though anyone in your family is habitually involved in high-profile bad-acting in public. You're probably not doing so in private, either, though what anyone does in private is his or her own business.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete