Tuesday, March 15, 2011

“Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.” - Robert Frost

I'm home for the first time in two months. I saw my dad every two weeks or so, but this is the first time I've seen my mom since she was recovering from her ruptured appendix. I'm happy to report that she looks much better and is no longer an avocado-green skeleton.

My room is every bit as wonderful as I remembered it. My mom asked me on Monday which rug/comforter combo I wanted so she could have the room ready for me. I went with the white with pink polka dots. It's perfect. All the rugs and comforters are perfect. My parents are moving (since my brother and I will be going off to college, it's not as though we're moving)at some point this summer. I was OK with their move, in part because there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop it but also because there's nothing here for me other than my room. My friends will all be going off to college. One of my closest friend's parents have also moved. She's staying with her grandparents in order to complete high school here.

The one thing causing me to feel ambivalence in relation to the move was the idea of leaving my beautiful room. Then my dear sweet Aunt Victoria and Uncle Ralph said that they would recreate the room in whatever home my parents buy. The rugs, comforters, and other bedding and accessories have already been purchased. Some remodeling was done to recreate this room from an existing guest bedroom and attic space. A closet for storing the extra comforters and rugs was also carved out of attic space. My aunt said my uncle will hire an architect to redesign a room at least as nice in the new home, wherever it ends up being. I'm lucky to have such indulgent godparents.

I have diving practice before school and a track meet after school. It will be intersting to hurdle. I've been practicing but haven't totally regained the speed that I had before last spring's injury. I don't know how much is related to leg strength and how much is due to overall loss of strength due to loss of weight. There's a popular perception that loss of weight equals an increase in running speed, but I am living proof that one can have too much of a good thing.

I'm sending positive thoughts to my Uncle Scott, and wishing him a good place to serve his residency.

Good night! The Four-thirty a.m. alarm will ring all too soon.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the practices. There are also psychological considerations after a long layoff, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something to that, Matt. I'm not really unconditioned, but I lacked my "A" game, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete