Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Zig for Great Justice*

This is not I, but it might just as well be.



I've worked all the hours I can work for a time, and am on vacation as a result. It seems to me that I would learn more if I worked more twelve-hour shifts and fewer twenty-eight hour ones, but scheduling is not my decision, and it's not just about me. Regardless, I end up with ample time off this way. By the time I return to The Great White North, spring may even have sprung or at least started to spring.  I am visiting California relatives briefly, after which I will visit my brother at his place of employment two-thirds of the way across the continent.

Work has been a mixed bag. You can't please everyone, and I haven't even come close to doing so. I have to be satisfied with the few crumbs that have been tossed in my direction. When I had to assist a pediatric surgeon in an abdominal surgery, he told me that I do very neat and precise work but that I suture about as efficiently as an eighty-nine-year-old woman at a quilting bee, and that my patients are all going to die on the table while waiting around for me to finish my beautiful handiwork. When I backed into one surgeon's car while driving a car belonging to another surgeon, damaging both cars in the process, the owner of the car I was driving told me I had more spine than he would have guessed I possessed because I didn't cry or pass out when the surgeon who owned the car into which I backed came looking for me, shouting obscenities all the way down the corridor. I also didn't cry five minutes later when an attending physician came to scold me over a medication order I had thoroughly screwed up, which fortunately was caught before the medication was administered to the patient, but unfortunately was caught by the only nurse to the best of my knowledge in the entire province who actively dislikes me, and who seemingly considered it her sworn duty to inform everyone within a thirty-kilometer radius of my incompetence and idiocy.

When the best I can do is work neatly and precisely but too slowly, remain conscious, and not cry, it would seem to be rather clear that I'm not exactly thriving. I was mildly concerned that I would not be invited to continue my employment here after this fiscal year, but an acquaintance who shall remain nameless and who has inside knowledge of such matters told me that I'm on neither the list of those whose fate has already been decided against them nor that of those who are still on the chopping block. This doesn't mean I couldn't possibly screw something up so congressionally as to be arsonized, but if I continue with my status quo quasi-mediocrity, my employers are too greatly in need of even minimally competent cheap labor to give me the grand DCM.  (I should clarify at this point that it's only my level of competence that is lukewarm.  I'm tired now, so I undoubtedly come across as apathetic at best, but I remain passionate as ever in regard to the prospect of saving every life and/or stitching up every boo boo that comes within my reach, if painstakingly and at a dead tortoise's pace.) All of this is contingent upon passage of Step 3 of the board exams, but that's the least of my worries. It's not that I'm not worried about it, but it's quite literally the least of my concerns at this point. I've been studying in what spare time I have, and I will commence with active worrying as exam time draws nearer.

I wish I could share some of my more interesting stories, but, alas, I have these rather pesky addictions to food and a roof over my head, the satiation of both of which necessitate my continued employment. I'm keeping the stories in a journal, and someday I will disguise the location and everyone's identity enough that I can share them in some form. For now, though, I shall be professional.






* zero wing dialect

21 comments:

  1. Aww... that sucks! But it's only a few more months before your internship is finished, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. June 30 is officially my final day. I'm not sure what my last actual work day in June will be.

      Delete
  2. I would expect the expression on your face at this time to be similar to that of a lobotomized goldfish. Exhausted and fairly numb. I remember long ago when my friends were doing their residencies. I felt sorry for them and hoped that their exhaustion didn't endanger their patients. Glad you have a little down time coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Numb is a fairly accurate description. I wasn't even able to smile at patients in my most recent day of work.

      Delete
  3. Is AlexisAR ever coming back? I miss her. laperla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I shall blog again when I return to Canada. My schedule will be more manageable this year. I wish I had a way of blocking a person who made others uncomfortable with his comments, but I can always block him as quickly as I get to it.

      Delete
  4. I'm old enough to handle Lord C, don't worry about my comfort. Manners dictate that I let you smack him - but I'd like to. Google shows that he bugs lots of people. laperla

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand your concerns and I think I know what you mean. You know, a while ago I was fired from financial manager's position during the crisis and I had to strive for every single piece of bread at a hateful job. I already wouldn't remember who recommended me provably fair gambling website but I thought that games would at least distract me from deadly fixation on my problems. And yes, they did! I regained spontaneity and as a result I won 0.5 BTC in their lottery. Soon after that I found a well-paid job. I wish you all the best and please don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. replica bags philippines wholesale replica gucci bag o5w06a3z23 replica bags online uae learn the facts here now q0k19y4m42 louis vuitton replica replica bags india m2d92p1g45 replica bags philippines greenhills my website c6o95m5v53 replica bags and watches

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your article, it was very helpful and successful. f604facf4c0f8220155adfd808a1571f
    website kurma
    sms onay
    website kurma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your explanation, very good content. fc0f06557e9489cac4032eaae5340202
    altın dedektörü

    ReplyDelete