Friday, April 5, 2013

General Conference and the Slut Look.

                             Elder Archuleta in the lame missionary choir

Wouldn't it be interesting to go to General Conference dressed as a slut? I wonder if they have bouncers at the doors or at the gates of temple square to keep people such as I out of the place ?  If so, wouldn't that be ironic? I thought churches were supposed to be like hospitals for the spiritually ill.
General Conference, by the way, is when Mormons get together twice a year for a great set of meetings where the head honchos talk. The MoTab performs at its finest, and a few lame children's or missionary choirs perform at the inferior sessions, although the church got a major publicity boost when David Archuleta was in a missionary choir a year or so ago. They waited until the very final strains of "Praise to the Man" to zero the cameras in on him.   I'll discuss General Conference in a bit more depth later.

I should have fun this quarter.  I will coast next week and the following week, just reading what is required and completing the required assignments. The following week, I will begin my ten days or so of hell, reading everything assigned for the semester and completing all written assignments.  I don't wish to be overly optimistic, but I believe I can do it in fewer than ten days this time.

I've already had to propose my research topic in my Appalachian music class. I'm focusing on Scottish and Irish roots in the folk music and hymns of Tennessee and Kentucky, and surrounding areas of North Carolina and Virginia, and the pentatonic tendencies often present. I can amend slightly, but my final topic has to be somewhere within that scope.

For the Mormons, it's General Conference weekend (pronounced gen/ral con/fernts). Some of my Utah relatives will feel the need to attend in person to see my grandfather sitting on the stand with the other grand poo-bahs. Others will take it as an opportunity for a vacation from church. They probably won't come here for their vacations because they don't want us to know how unholy they are. If they do show up, we'll turn everything off and pretend we're not home, like the introduction to "Everybody Loves Raymond" in one of the earlier seasons.

The slut-look thing is getting old, but I said I'd do it for two weeks, and I'm sticking to it,  I must say that I've been hit on more in the past five days than I have in the rest of my life combined. It must be a good look for me. Either that, or there are many perverts on this campus. I can deal with it as long as no professors hit on me.


1 comment:

  1. I remember General Conferences...thankfully my family was never fully into the whole thing (we'd skip out after the 1st of church to get breakfast, half the time on Fast Sundays) so for us, it was a nice break.

    ReplyDelete