Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Return to Gymnastics and Tumbling

A long, long, time ago my privileges as a gymnast were revoked by my parents because I [successfully] performed a couple of gymnastics maneuvers on the roof of our two-story home. I'm really not sure how much it would have mattered if it had been a one-story house, or, for that matter, a four-story dwelling, but my parents always include the number of floors of the house when they tell the story, so I thought I should as well. Anyway, I'm eighteen now, so any parental ban on gymnastics and tumbling is a moot point. Since I have to take a total of 1.0 units in physical education activity courses, I signed up for both gymnastics and tumbling this quarter. Both courses met for the first time today.

I was required to sign up for the "beginning" sections of both gymnastics and tumbling, although "beginning" and "intermediate" sections of the courses meet at the same time and location.  I could petition the instructor for a change in designation, but I'm not sure it makes any difference in the grand scheme of things.

Today was just an orientation in both courses. Procedures and restrictions were detailed.  We'll get down to the nitty gritty on Thursday. Ban notwithstanding, I've never stopped tumbling. One merely needs a grassy field to go through a complete floor routine. Apparati, however, are another matter entirely.  I expect to have very little skill remaining there, particularly with regard to the vault.  The degree to which my skill level returns will be interesting.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like fun! I always wanted to do gymnastics, but my mother never allowed it. Ballet was what I got instead. And when I was in college (and high school - though I also did track for a short time), marching band was my phys ed :)

    As long as you have fun and don't get injured ;) life is good :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even turn a cartwheel! When I was in college, I took a social and recreational dance class. It was fun, but there was only one guy in the class!

    ReplyDelete