Saturday, April 9, 2011

I've almost returned to the world of the living

At some point last night my headache became too great to bear. Dr. Jeff had sent a message to me that he was prescribing meds, but my computer had been taken away at that point, and no one was too quick to get the medication to me or even to let me know ir was coming.

As soon as the desk was unmanned momentarily, I hopped over it and buzzed myself out. With me I had a small amount of cash and a jacket. I didn't plan to stay long -- just long enough to get to an open pharmacy to by an over-the-counter headache remedy.

Dr. Jeff appeared on the floor not too much later. He asked if the medication he prescribed had been administered. It hadn't. According to my sources, he was not pleased with the nurse who was to have been responsible for dispensing the medication. Then he went to my room, where I was not. He again appeared at the nurses' station to inquire as to my whereabouts. No one had a clue. Security was alerted, as were police. Dr. Jeff himself went searching as well. Dr. Jeff guessed correctly, which was that I would be headed in the dirextion of the neareast pharmacy that would be open at night. Several pharmacies operate in the vicinity of the hospital, but their hours are eight until six, or something like that. I was looking for a Walgreens, Rite Aid, or CVS.

Dr. Jeff located me a block from the nearest Rite Aid. I didn't bother running from him. He's faster than I am even on a good day, and my headache had reached epic proportions. He picked me up and carried me to his car, buckled me in, called the authorities to let everyone know I had been found, and drove me back to the hospital. The police showed up at the hospital. I had to speak with them briefly, but Dr. Jeff told them that I was too sick to be aware of what I was doing, and that the problem was with a particular member of the nursing staff and not with me. The police seemed to let it go at that. I've never gotten off so lighltly for anything I've done, although I know I'm not totally in the clear yet. I promised my Uncle Scott that I would not leave the facility unauthorized again, and he's not going to be quite so willing to write it off to a really bad headache.

Dr. Jeff drove me from the hospital to his house. He retrieved my computer and phone from the nurse who confiscated them first. He told me that he would medicate me with good drugs that would allow me to sleep, and that if I was well enough to travel in the morning, he would drive me all the way home.

I still have a headache this morning, but I'm no longer upchucking everything I even look at, so we made the trip. His daughter came with him. He offered to take her to some amusement park on the way back, so she was happy to make the trip.

My mom and dad aren't remotely mad at me. I'm tucked away in my bed with an intercom so that I can call them if I need anything.

Dr. Jeff said the nurse is history if he has anything to say about it. He said that if she will treat the child of someone she knows is a friend of his in such a manner, what's to stop her from being even less professional when a child who is not connected to someone important is involved?

I'll stay here until next weekend. Then I'll go back until Thursday, at which time I'll fly home for Easter.

It's almost time to spring my Utah plans on the parents. In some ways I'd like to skip them because I know my Uncle Scott will be really mad at me, but this is something I really want to do, so I'll brave his wrath.

My head is pounding, but I just got another dose of something powerful, so I shouldn't be suffering for long.

4 comments:

  1. Dr. Jeff said the nurse is history if he has anything to say about it. He said that if she will treat the child of someone she knows is a friend of his in such a manner, what's to stop her from being even less professional when a child who is not connected to someone important is involved?

    You know, that might be the exact reason WHY she is doing this?

    She might decide to treat the child of a friend of his in a worse way than she would treat another patient in order to prove a point? "See? I am not going to treat her any better than another patient just because her dad knows him! I'll show them!"

    Unless that's her idea of good nursing care?

    Either way, she ignored the instructions of the head of the hospital and could have jeopardised the health of a patient because she was insubordinate.

    Dr Jeff, if you are reading this, it might be worthwhile checking up how many of your other orders that nurse has chosen to ignore.

    She is a potential danger to not only the patients but also the good name of the hospital.

    Alexis, get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning, Alexis!

    It's 6.06am in Britain. Hope you are feeling better today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, I'm at home in my own bed with whatever medication is needed to keep coughing fits or headaches away. Mommy and Daddy are waiting on me, and my brother is being extra nic. Things are better. My poor aunt with cystic fibrosis is really sick, but her husbands is confindent the doctors have things under control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chest infections can be very nasty. Especially those that give you a headache and make you cough, too.

    ReplyDelete