Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Jacksons, My Dad, and Parasailing

My dad says I've sunk to a new all-time low in blogging by writing about the Jackson family.  I asked him if he would prefer that I write about his family instead. He said if that was the alternative I should continue to make a donkey of myself by blogging about the Jacksons. It's a moot point right now, anyway, because I have no new thoughts about the Jacksons to share. I have no new thoughts about my dad's family to share, either.

I'm still winding down after yesterday's enthralling experience. The PseudoRelatives celebrated by going parasailing today. While I would never have intruded on their special day together, and my weight is really too low to parasail right now anyway,  the one time I did parasail was an absolutely mind-boggling experience. I intend to repeat it as soon as I can, which is not likely to be all that soon, as the one  time I parasailed, I had to forge my dad's signature on the parent consent form. I will be eighteen on December 2, which happens to fall on a Sunday this year, so I won't have classes on that day. Weather permitting, I WILL parasail. Weather NOT permitting, I will skip classes on the next fair-weather day on which I do not have a final exam. I have over four months to gain enough weight to make parasailing a safe proposition. That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it.

Good night and good luck.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there! I think you're a brave lady to want to try parasailing again. I do not have acrophobia, but man, the last time I tried it, my head spun! Anyway, that was when I was a kid. I might consider giving it a go again. So, how's your plan to gain weight for parasailing?
    Darius Cartmell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darius,

    I'm still a little light, but the first good weather day after I turned eighteen, I found a place that lets you wear a weighted belt around your waist as long as you sign a waiver. They show you how to get it off quickly in the event that you go down so that you don't increase your chances of sinking, but if the life preserver is theoretically strong enough to hold a person over 100 pounds, I'm not sure why an 87-pounder with a 10-pound weighted belt would be at a disadvantage.

    My weight is at 90 now, so several companies are fine with 90-pounder going up solo. When I finish the major reading assignments, papers, and projects for my course work for this quarter, I'm treating myself to another parasailing trip. It should be in about three weeks.

    Go for it! It's a little scary, but the rush you get is totally worth it. (I sound like a junky trying to talk a former addict into trying heroin again. Pathetic, isn't it?)

    Thanks for the response!

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete