Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Seizure in Real Life

I'm not onstage for the scene right now, so I have a bit of a break. On my way across campus to rehearsal, I saw a girl fall and go into a full-blown grand mal seizure. I think they're officially called tonic-clonic seizures now, because that;s what the doctors on "Houee" call them, and the tV medical programs are usually up on the latest medical terminology.

The girl was maybe 50 feet away from me when i saw her go down, so I called 9-1-1 as I was approaching her. The dispatcher told me to try to roll her on her side if I could, which I did, and to keep my fingers away from her mouth, which I did. Campus police was there quickly, and one of them who came is a trained paramedic. They phoned for also an ambulance. In real life law enforcement personnel, or at least campus security people, don;t refer to ambulances ans buses as is done on Law $ Order. For all I know, the NYPD really does.

The girl regained consciousness in what was probably just three minutes but seemed a lot longer. She said she's never had a seizure before. I felt very sorry for her. One  apparently common seide effect  of grand mal seizures is a loss of control of certain body functions. I had a little blanket with me that had no particular sentimental value, but I was going to use it to stay warm in the theatre between my scenes. I left it with her. I heard the ambulance pulling up  before I reached the theatre.

Rehearsal is going well. I think we'll be ready.

2 comments:

  1. Good job staying calm :) I'm sure the girl was happy that there were people around to help her
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had the presence of mind to be able to help her.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be displayed soon :-)