Friday, May 10, 2013

My New Favorite Song


You Exist in My Song
词曲及演唱:曲婉婷
Composer, Lyrics and Singer: Qu Wanting




I change favorite songs with only sligly less frequency than most people change their soncks. This is my new favorite song, but it probably won't be next week. Still, I keep track, so it will be on my list forever.   It's sung in Mandarin, and while the English words are still nice,I suspect it loses considerable depth in the English translation. As much as I love the melody, I hope no one comes along and wrtes English lyrics for the tune, because I sense it was meant to be sung in Chinese.

My dad came into my room as I was playing it on the piano and singing it in Mandarin to the best of my very limited ability. With his characteristic tact, he asked, "What in the hell are you trying to sing?"  I explained that it was a song by a Taiwanese singer. He suggested it sounded more like I was trying to sing in Klingon, and that if I intended to keep singing in Mandarin, a course in the language would be a good place to start.

I don't especially want t learn to speak or even sing in Chinese. I just want to sing this one song and just for myself, not for the world. I'll try to sing more quietly in my room so my dad doesn't have to be offended by my pitiful attempt at at Mandarin in song.

Loss of essence in translation notwithostanding, I think it's a lovely song.  I also think the dress Qu Wanting is wearing as she plays the piano is gorgeous, and I'd buy it in a minute if i could find it.


    méiyǒu yìdiǎndiǎn fángbèi, yě méiyǒu yì sī gùlǜ
没有   一点点   防备,也 没有 一 丝 顾虑
Without any precaution, and without a trace of apprehension
nǐ jiù zhèyàng chūxiàn zài wǒ de  shìjiè lǐ , dàigěi wǒ jīngxǐ , qíngbúzìyǐ
你 就 这样  出现  在  我 的 世界 里,带给 我 惊喜,情不自已
you appeared in my world as you did, bringing me a pleasant surprise, that I couldn’t resist
kěshì nǐ piān yòu zhèyàng, zài wǒ bùzhībùjué zhōng
可是 你 偏 又  这样,在  我 不知不觉 中
But like this, without me knowing
qiāoqiāo de xiāoshī , cóng wǒ de shìjiè lǐ ,   méiyǒu yīnxùn , shèngxià de zhǐshì huíyì
悄悄  的  消失,  从  我 的 世界 里,没有   音讯,剩下    的 只是  回忆

you quietly disappeared, from my world, without a word, leaving behind only my memories
nǐ cúnzài, wǒ shēnshēn de nǎohǎi lǐ,  wǒ de mènglǐ, wǒ de xīnlǐ ,  wǒ de gēshēng lǐ
你 存在,我 深深   的 脑海 里,我 的 梦里,我 的 心里,我 的 歌声 里
You exist, deep in my mind, in my dreams, in my heart, and in my song
nǐ cúnzài, wǒ shēnshēn de nǎohǎi lǐ,  wǒ de mènglǐ, wǒ de xīnlǐ ,  wǒ de gēshēng lǐ
你 存在,我 深深   的 脑海 里,我 的 梦里,我 的 心里,我 的 歌声 里
You exist, deep in my mind, in my dreams, in my heart, and in my song

nǐ cúnzài, wǒ shēnshēn de nǎohǎi lǐ,  wǒ de mènglǐ, wǒ de xīnlǐ ,  wǒ de gēshēng lǐ
你 存在,我 深深   的 脑海 里,我 的 梦里,我 的 心里,我 的 歌声 里
You exist, deep in my mind, in my dreams, in my heart, and in my song

hái jìdé wǒmen céngjīng, jiānbìngjiān yì qǐ zǒuguò, nà duàn fánhuá xiàngkǒu
还 记得 我们 曾经, 肩并肩    一 起 走过,那 段  繁华  巷口
Still remember us once walking side by side together past that bustling alley

jìnguǎn nǐ wǒ shì mòshēngrén, shì guòlùrén, dàn bǐcǐ háishì gǎnjué dào le duìfāng de 
尽管  你 我 是 陌生人,  是 过路人,但 彼此 还是 感觉 到 了 对方  的
Even though we were strangers, just passing by each other, we still felt each other
yí gè yǎnshén, yí gè xīntiào ….
一个 眼神,一个 心跳….
One look, one beat of the heart

yì zhǒng yìxiǎngbúdào de kuàilè, hǎoxiàng shì
一 种   意想不到   的 快乐,好像   是
one unexpected delight. It’s like

nándào shì yuánfèn?
难道  是  缘分
Could it have been chance?

nándào shì tiānyì?
难道  是 天意…
Could it have been destiny?


yì chǎng mèngjìng, mìngzhōngzhùdìng
一 场   梦境,   命中注定
a dream, that was destined.

shìjiè zhī dà wéihé wǒmen xiāngyù
世界 之 大 为何 我们   相遇
The world is so big, why did we meet?

















No comments:

Post a Comment