Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Prof Wasn't Making Anything Up

She has a mountain lion on the premises of her property in an area northeast of the university, maybe thirty miles away. I really wonder what the neighbors think, or how many even know. The animal is kept in a fenced and sort of moated area that has trees nowhere near the fence, and is covered as well on top with some sort of netting that looks as though my five-week old cousin Blitzen Manx could probably make his way out of it with minimal effort.. The area is far inside the prof's property, and she appears to own about fifteen acres. Timmy and I had to trespass to learn the details of which we're now aware. We weren't afraid of encountering the prof in our trespassing escapades because she had spoken several times of traveling on a a wine-tasting cruise this weekend. It only goes to show that one should, by and large, keep his or her travel plans at least semi-confidential. She's lucky we weren't cat burglars.

Timmy knows more about mountain lions or cougars, both the literal and figurative types, than I do. He estimated the animal to be youngish, as in maybe a year old. He said she weighs about four hundred pounds, which he says is very large for a young female cougar. We have no way of knowing if the prof has the necessary authorization to own the animal or to keep it on her property, but with her libertarian leanings, it's highly dubious. Timmy spoke to several neighbors and asked if they knew of the cougar on nearby property. No  one with whom he spoke was aware, and all were quite taken aback by the idea. Timmy took a few neighbors over to show them. Several neighbors took photographs, and authorities were called.

This is  rural area of which I'm speaking. It's not like a city block with a house on a piece of property abutting  next-door-neighbors' property on either side. Hundreds of yards may separate each house. Still, it's a daunting thought to know that a mountain lion is being kept less than a mile from one's abode. Wild animals have been known to escape their enclosures. Furthermore, some of these families have young children.

My suspicion is that the cougar will have a new home within forty-eight hours. I wonder whether it's a misdemeanor or a felony to unlawfully detain mountain lion on one's property without proper authorization. Perhaps the prof will be rejoining us for class for next week, or perhaps she'll be, instead, enjoying the county's hospitality. In the event that she's freed soon enough to hand out grades for the course I'm taking from her, I certainly hope she doesn't connect me with the discovery of her illegal cat house. (She may be running more than one kind of illegal cat house, if you know what I mean. She just gives me that vibe.) Regardless, it's been a good run and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Matt, I'm appalled by what you've shared.

1 comment:

  1. Alexis, sometimes I appal myself.

    I get no better with age.

    ReplyDelete