Thursday, August 22, 2013

cantankerous piano professor AND choosing a dress for each recital.








not high on my list, but not ruled out

in the top three

Just because you don't have to wear black doesn't meanyou can;t wear it. i like this, so it's in the top three.
This one's probably number one in the running.


It will be longer on me than on her, and straps will be added.


My recital dates for both piano and violin have been set.  My piano recital will be before thanksgiving in November. I've been fighting with my professor about this. Her star student  had a great deal of confidence and scheduled his recital for the Friday after labor day. Unless one has already postpone a recital or has given up all of his non-studying time to practice in the spring and has devoted his summer to practicing, this is a brazen move, perhaps even a foolish one. He decided about a month ago that he was not ready. because I can play through my pieces error-free, my professor thought I should step in for him and take his early September date, giving him my mid-November date.  Theoretically I could do so, and I would pass, though letter grades are given, and I don't know that my performance would earn an A, which I need. I refused to switch dates with him.

Even though I'm not taking summer school, I am taking half a credit of piano pedagogy just to meet with my professor twice a month, She is, as I mentioned earlier, also the professor of the guy who thought he would be ready in September and would wow the adjudication panel by being spot-on so early in the term, had he been ready, it would certainly have made an impression. Had I felt ready and as though I was killing time waiting around November, I would have accepted his proposal for a trade in recital dates. I feel, on the other hand that I still have polishing to do on a few pieces. I'm not willing to be sacrificed for his benefit, which is essentially what my professor is trying to do to me.

My mom told me vi Skype -- she's in the land down under with my dad  (even if it's winter there, don't feel sorry for her; they're having a perfectly marvelous time, and they head to New Zealand tomorrow, which is one of the places I most want to visit in the entire world) -- to fill out a "change of supervising professor" slip and turn it in immediately before this woman does anything to thoroughly screw m over. Her power is limited, as my summer half-unit is an audit, and she has no say in my final grade -- the adjudication committee will determine my grade based on my performance at my single recital -- but I've made the woman very angry. My last two "lessons" consisted of her trying to persuade me to change my recital date, then of berating me for my refusal to do so. She's called me selfish and spoiled. 

My professor expects me to throw myself atop the sacrificial table and take one for the good of her stable of talent because doing so will best highlight the student she considers most promising.  He is more promising as a musician than I am. He's put all his eggs in one basket - that of the piano, while I'm majoring in violin performance and biochem as well as piao performance..  Still, I'm under no obligation to have anything but my very best showing under optimal circumstances. I picked my dates for both conferences early and carefully, considering academic load, length of time between recital, and when I thought I could be realistically be ready for my first recital.  I didn't just close my eyes and randomly point to a date n a year-long academic calendar in front of me. much consideration went into my choosing of recital dates, and I am quite happy with them as they are.

Even though my mother has less seniority than my piano professor, the department chair likes her better. That shouldn't figure into the equation, but it will. The bottom line, nonetheless, is that students here  pay a hefty price for their piano professors' time. If for any reason they're not getting the most of that time for which they re paying, their requests for changes should be honored  at least the first time a request for a change in supervising professorship is requested. If a student cannot get along with more than one or two supervising professors, the problem my be the student,   I'm confident that my request will be honored.  This professor will denigrate me to other faculty members, including the adjudicating panels for both of my recitals, but she won't make much headway. I haven't cause the slightest controversy in the department, and my mom is well-liked within the department even though she's new. My mother shouldn't matter in the least, but  this is the real world, where nepotism is alive and thriving.  I'll be the victim of reverse nepotism enough times in my life; I already have been for that matter. It's only fair that a family relationship should work in my favor once in awhile, especially if it's not at the expense of someone else.

Enough of the negatives. It's time to choose dresses for my recitals.  this is one of the fun things related to recitals. Usually a musician wears basic black, but at his or her (particularly her; a man would still wear a tux) recitals is the ne time a musician need not fade into the woodwork and may stand out a bit.  my violin dress need to be a bit longer, my piano dress may be relatively shot as long as it doesn't appear indecent. Wardrobe malfunctions should not happen at recitals. For that reason, only a fool would wear a strapless dress, particularly for a violin recital. I have a seamstress, however, who can either match the fabric or take fabric from the hem to create spaghetti straps. None of these dresses will likely fit me as they are, but must be remade. In the case of some, they'll be too short in  a size that will fit me. In the case of others, they'll be too large in a size that is an appropriate length. Keep in mind that whatever dress I choose, it will be made to an appropriate length
and spaghetti straps will be added if it's strapless.  one doesn't  want an excess of sleeve fabric when playing either instrument.  Spaghetti straps or a single wider strap, or sleeveless at the very least, are perfect. It's tempting to go for a strapless s dress, as there are so many cute ones, but a wardrobe malfunction can make the difference between an A and a B. I don't want a B, so I'll eschew strapless dresses, though some I'm showing are strapless, as  the straps can be added.

I'm inclined to choose a backup dress for each occasion just in case something goes wring. my parents both say I have a closet full of clothing, at least some of which could be used in n emergency for the concert, If I need a second dress for each concert, I'll need to pay for it myself,  That is precisely what I'll do. I've been working part-time since before I was thirteen and have plenty of emergency cash just for such occasions.

The dresses at the top of the page re ones I'm considering for my piano recital, and the ones a the bottom re ones being considered for my violin recital. I may not be through looking, and I may look for longer if the need be.




obviously will need straps
Maybe too sophisticated?


you get two of these because my computer is malfunctioning and won't let me delete



possible favorite

2 comments:

  1. My votes go to dress #3 and #7 (the blue ones). I am a big fan of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm leaning toward #7 as well. The blue is actually black, just the lighting in the picture creates an illusion. I'd wear it if I could get it in another color. It's just that I'm going to wear black whenever I play piano in public for the rest of my life. In fact, I think I'll buy it for accompaniment gigs.

    My mom, who I emailed the pictures to, likes the plain satin pink dress.I don't like that one so much anymore. It's too light. if you're going that pale. it's better to go with white.
    I'm posting a couple of new ones I found.

    ReplyDelete